Monday, January 02, 2006

BOOMERS TURN 60

It was in the year 1946 that the first Baby Boomer was born. The term really didn't catch on at first, but it sure has grown. Some say to the point of nausea. There have been some stories about the first boomer being from the Missouri area, being born 1/2 second after midnight. But then, a lady in the Northeast got a lot of press recently as the first one, due to the time zone difference, born at 12:01. The guy in Missouri didn't make a big deal about it.
"Any one born even a few seconds after midnight has a birth certificate that says '12:01'," he said.
So the leading edge folks are heading into their 60's. And the tail-enders will hit 42 in '06.
If you take a life-span in todays actuarial table of 80 years old, that means this old world will be stuck with us until 2044.
Some say that, having been a hippie and a yuppie, and now an "abbie" ( aging baby boomer), we believe we are going to die before we get old.
Me? I'm just hoping for tomorrow.....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sad to hear them still singing it though. Their generation is collecting Social Security!!!

Ha Ha.


Maggie

rdl said...

are't we? I'm planning on it.

Anonymous said...

I think I was the last born boomer (technically).

Being born a month before 1970 count?

Tom.... said...

maggie...I just hope there is a soc.sec system when I am ready for it..although I will be in the teacher ret. plan, and can only get a piece of the SS pie...

rdl...well, today was a gift and, greedy guy that I am, I want another one tomorrow..

conde..sorry, friend..you only get to be a boomer if birth day in between 1946 and 1964..you are in the gen x group, or the y group or..

rdl said...

oh i am greedy too, i want as many as i can get; but i refuse to grow old.

Patry Francis said...

"Abbie" I hadn't heard that one before, but I like it. It sounds a lot better than say, "geezer." Enjoy your thoughts here, as always.

Now I'm off to check out that tag.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Oh? We're old?
I just started thinking "where did the last ten years go?"
Boomer that I am, I know that chronologically, I'm way older than I ever believed I'd be, but then again I'm stuck at 38, I'm ready for another 50 years.

Tom.... said...

yes,sports fans....they say we are only as old as we feel,but some days I feel a bit older than I am...still, getting older sure beats the alternative.